Pizzoccheri soup my way
Pizzoccheri is a kind of pasta which is made from buckweat flour, white flour, eggs and a pinch of salt. The dish that I was innitially planning to cook was Pizzocceri pasta soup with cabbage. This dish originates from north Italy and as it was said by Claudia Baggiani (http://mestolando.com/recipes/pizzoccheri-pasta-savoy-cabbage-potatoes-cheese) it is a northern Italian pasta favourite and also a poor-man's-fair because it includes basic Italian ingredients!
However, I live in Istanbul, Turkey and the choice of Italian ingredients is rather limitedin here. So this is my choice of ingredients:
half of shredded cabbage
one spoon of tomato paste
two cloves of garlic
four leaves of sage
salt and pepper
some chicken cut into very small pieces ( about 2 table spoons)
1. Peel the potatoes, carrots and onions.
2. Cut cabbage into quite big chunks.
3. Put cubbed potatoes and carrots into boiling water and add a pinch of salt. Let it boil for 5 min.
4. Chop the onion and fry it with chicken and a drop of olive oil. Add chopped garlic and sage leaves.
5. Put the cabbage and the chicken with onions into the pot with potatoes and carrots. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes.
6. Add tomato paste and some more salt and pepper if you want.
7. Finally, add a small handful of wholeweat pasta and boil it for 10 min.
8. Time to serve!!! Sprinkle some permesan on the top and enjoy the dish!!!