Last Thursday my Lithuanian friend and I were walking around Turkish street market ( tr. pazar) and my eyes caught fresh kadayf! I was delighted as it's not so easy to find it fresh in Istanbul. Generally it's sold dried which is perfectly good for knefe. But if you want to make rolls or something else, only fresh would do. Below you can see how fresh kadayf looks like!
So if you want to make rolls you need:
400gr shredded pastry - kadayf
200gr of nut mix ( any nuts you like, I used pistachio and wallnut mix)
200gr of melted butter
2 water glasses of water
2 glasses of sugar
0,5 glasses of honey
1 cinammon stick
1 lemon ( juice and zest)
What you have to do:
1. Melt the butter and brush the tray or any heat proof dish. Put the rest of butter aside.
2. Cut the kadayf or tear it into stripes, place a spoon of nuts and roll it. Plate it in a tray and brush again with butter.
3. Bake kadayf for an hour in 180C.
4. Make syrup. Mix all syrup ingredients and let it boil. Then simmer for 15 min.
5. Let the kadayf rolls cool and then pour the syrup. Leave it for an hour or so and then enjoy!!!