Spinach and white cheese pie
Most Mediterranean countries are famous for their variety of cheese. Turkey is no exception. This time I decided to make an easy spinach and white cheese ( tr. beyaz peynir - 'beyaz' - white, 'peynir' - cheese) pie in puff pastry. Beyaz peynir is very similar to feta cheese in its texture but it's generally made from cow's milk. Well, I can call it Turkish feta! And it's really delicious with any olives. In Turkey this cheese is used in böreks ( anything that is rolled in fyllo daugh and baked or fried in oil) or tarts.
What do we need:
200 gr of puff pastry
300 gr of white cheese
200 gr of fresh spinach
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp of sesame seeds ( I used black seeds)
What we have to do:
1. Cut onion and garlic into small pieces and fry them in olive oil. Add cut spinach, salt and pepper. Fry for 2-3 min.
2. Roll out puff pastry. Take a baking dish and brush it with olive oil, place puff pastry.
3. Mix white cheese with fried spinach, add 2 eggs, mix it wel and pour into dish with puff pastry.
4. Cut some slices of puff pastry and decorate the top of the pie. Then brush with eggwash and sprinkle some black or white sesame seeds.
5. Pre-heat the oven until 200C and bake for 30 min or until the top gets golden brown! Enjoy!!!