Aubergine ( Eggplant) parmigiana
I found the recipe in Jamie Oliver's website and I loved the simplicity of this recipe and I knew that it would be perfect for our meatless dinner. I cannot say that I've never made anything similar as it is typical Mediterannian cuisine dish and aubergine/eggplant is always in my fridge. But I loved the idea of putting cheese and bread crumbles on the top which made very crunchy top and garlic and fresh tomato sauce made a great combination with eggplant. I really loved the dish and as my husband said, 'I can eat it every day!'
What we need:
2 large firm aubergines
3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp dried oregano
4 fresh ripe tomatoes
salt and black pepper
a large handful of fresh basil
2-3 large handfuls of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 handfuls of dried breadcrumbs
a little fresh oregano
What we have to do:
1. Remove the stalks from the aubergines, slice them up into 1cm thick slices, and put to one side.
2. Add the onion, garlic and dried oregano into a pan with olive oil and cook for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and the garlic has a tiny bit of colour
3. Remove tomato skins, carefully squeeze out the pips and cut up the flesh. Add the tomato flesh ( or tinned tomatoes) to the onion, garlic and oregano. Give the mixture a good stir, then put a lid on the pan and simmer slowly for 15 minutes. When the tomato sauce is reduced and sweet, season it carefully with salt, pepper and add the basil. You can leave the sauce chunky or you can purée it.
4. Grill or fry the aubergines on both sides.
5. Put in caserrole dish a small layer of tomato sauce, then some grated Parmesan, followed by a single layer of aubergines. Repeat these layers until you’ve used all the ingredients up, finishing with a little sauce and another good sprinkling of Parmesan. Finally, toss the breadcrumbs in olive oil with a little freshly chopped oregano and sprinkle them on top of the Parmesan.
6. Pre-heat the oven 190C and bake for 20-30 min until it's bubbling and gonden brown on the top.
7. It can be served hot or cold. Enjoy!!!