Baked Sauteed cabbage with mashed potatoes
How do you imagine a real nothern dish? What do people in the North eat? And what is North exactly? Is it Scandinavian countries or Russia? What about Canada or Alaska? All these questions I've been asking myself as the same Lithuanian website introduced a new competition - Northern dish competition. Due to the misorganisation or
at the same site, I believe I wasn't able to post my recipes there, but still I want to share some ideas in my own blog. While thinking of the food I would like to eat in winter, I looked at the ingredients that can be found in cold / cool countries. I don't know why but cabbage was the first vegetable that came to my mind. I remember the lovely taste of sauteed saurkrout and jacket potatoes that were served by my late grandmother many many years ago. So below is the first dish that I believe could be eaten in Nothern country - baked sauteed cabbage with mashed potatoes.
What we need:
1 cabbage, shredded
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and slices in stripes
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
150 ml balsamic vinegar
fresh or dried rosemary
4 big potatoes
100 ml cream
20 gr butter
2-3 tbsp of oil
optional: smoked ham or bakon ( I did't use as I wanted meatless dish, but I'm sure smoked ham or bakon would have added wonderful flavour)
What we have to do:
1. Peel the potatoes, put into a pot, pour some water over, season with salt and boil until soft. Then mash the potatoes, add cream and a lump of butter. Mix it well.
2. Preheat a big pan, add some oil and put chopped onion and garlic. Then add cabbage and slowly sautee for 10 min. Then add apples. Sautee for 5 more minutes and add balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper. Mix it well and sautee for 5 more minutes.
3. Transfer cabbage into a casserole dish, then add mashed potatoes on the top, add some rosemary leaves on the top.
4. Put in a pre-heated oven ( 180C) for about 20-30 min until the top gets light brown.
5. Garnish with some fresh herbs and serve! Enjoy!!!