Miss chicken with roasted butternut squash
I know hundreds ways of preparing chicken but still my favourite recipe is simply roasted chicken. Yesterday I decided to make chicken the way my mother used to make when I was a child. I don't even know why she doesn't make this type of chicken any more. Maybe because there is such a great variety of spieces all around which help to get different flavours each time. In my family for Christmas dinner we used to make not Turkey but huge Chicken. And each time it was a winner. And if it was served with roasted vegetables ( usually with potatoes, carrots and onion) and roasted apples, and we went crazy!!!
What we need:
2 tbsp of salt
1 tbsp of ground black pepper
a pinch of ground bay leaves
6 cloves of garlic
some chopped rosemary ( my mum didn't use it, but I decided to add some!)
3 tbsp of butter
for roasted butternut squash:
1 butternut squash
salt and pepper
2 tbsp of olive oil
some fresh thyme
What we have to do:
1. Clean the chicken and dry it with kitchen paper towel.
2. In a bowl mix salt, pepper, ground bay leaves, finely chopped garlic, and chopped rosemary.
3. Rub the chicken with the spice mix and leave it for several hours ( I generally make it in the morning and roast the chicken in the evening).
4. Before putting the chicken into the oven, rub the chicken with soft butter.
5. Place it now in a preheated oven ( 200C) and leave it for 30 min. Then with a spoon pour the melted butter and chicken fat over the chicken and continue roasting. Repeat it every 10 min. Total baking time is 70 min but still it depends on the size of your chicken. So keep checking!
6. For roasted butternut squash, cut it in smaller pieces, drizzle some olive oil, salt and pepper. Place it on a baking tray add some fresh thyme and roast for 40-50 minutes until it is soft. It tastes absolutely delicious.
For Christmas this year I'll make the same chicken just I'll roast it with apples. They give so much freshness to the chicken! Have a lovely day!!!