Kuru fasulye or white bean stew is one of the most popular home style dishes in Turkey. They can be made with meat ( generaly lamb or chicken) or pastırma ( dried beef) or can be cooked only with vegetables. Generally this dish is done in a pot but this time I decided to finish it in the oven.
What we need:
2 water glasses of white beans
3 cloves of garlic
2 green peppers
2 tbsp of tomato paste
salt and pepper
red pepper flakes if you like it spicy!
What we have to do:
1. Pour the beans with cold water and let it soak overnight. Then boil it until they are almost done.
2. Fry chopped garlic and onion with some olive oil. Season with pepper and salt. Then add carrots and peppers. Fry for 2-3 min.
3. Add peeled and chopped tomatoes and beans. Cook for 3 min. Then add thyme and mint. Transfer into a casserole dish and add tomato paste and water. It should completely cover the beans.
4. Put in the oven ( 170C) and bake for 30-40 min until vegetables are completely cooked and the sauce has turned thicker.
5. Serve with a spoonful of yogurt or cooked rice. Enjoy!