Saturday, January 09, 2010
Mexican breakfast by Jamie Oliver
What we need:
2 cloves of garlic
2 red peppers
2 fresh red or orange chillies
1 large dried chilli
3 bay leaves
salt and ground pepper
800gr of tinned chopped tomatoes
2 large tomatoes
6 large eggs
150g Cheddar cheese to serve
What we have to do:
1. Put a large pan with a lid on a high heat and add several good lugs of olive oil. Add finely slices onion, garlic, deseeded and finely slices peppers and chillies, bay leaves and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 15 minutes to soften and caramelize the vegetables.
2. Pour in the tinned tomatoes and use a spoon or a potato masher to break them up a bit. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to a medium and cook for further 5 minutes so the sauce starts to reduce down.
3. Correct the seasoning if you think it needs it.
4. Lay sliced tomatoes over the top of the mixture, then use spoon to make small wells in the tomato stew and crack in your eggs so they poach in the juices. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
5. Warm your tortillas.
6. Serve the vegetable stew and poached eggs on warm tortilla with some grated Cheddar cheese. You can also bring cheese and a grater to the table and get everyone involved and make their own. Wrap the tortilla up and eat it right away.
It is also a really healthy dish if you reduce the amount of oil and use wholeweat tortillas. Really what a beautiful way to wake up! Have a nice day everyone!