Lithuanian Independence day and Pancake day - Could that be better?!
This is a joyful day for all Lithuanians as we celebrate the Independence Day. It's also a pancake day! If there's a festival to celebrate at the same day as Independence day, it's definitely the Shrove Tuesday/ Pancake day as it has such old and interesting traditions and pancakes is the dish that can definitely called one of the most popular ones. So here's my first recipe for today!
What we need:
5 gr of dry yeast
2 glasses of flour ( 1 glass - 220ml)
1 glass of milk
a pinch of salt
2 tbsp of sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 tbsp of melted butter
oil for frying
yogurt or jam for serving
What we have to do:
1. Mix the yeast with salt and sugar, add 3-4 tbsp of warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a bowl put flour, cinnamon, one beaten egg, melted butter and the yeast mix. Stir it and then whisk carefully until everything is combined.
3. Peel the apple and cut into small cubes. Add them into a batter. Mix it well.
4. Preheat the pan and add some oil. Pour some batter and fry until the sides brown a bit, then turn it. Finish all the batter.
5. Serve with yogurt or jam. Enjoy!!
Please have a look at some amazing sights of Lithuania in this blog.