Thursday, March 18, 2010
Go light in Spring - Leek, carrot and rice stew
While living in Turkey I undestood that leek can be used as one of the main parts of the dish. In Lithuania it is used only as a substitute for onion in salats or stews. In Turkey, there are a great number of dishes which main ingredient is leek! So another light and vegetarian one-pot dish for cold but sunny spring day!
What we need:
4 tbsp of rice
1 teaspoon of tomato paste
1 orange zest and juice
salt and pepper
2 tbsp of olive oil
What we have to do:
1. Carefully wash the leek and cut into 1-2 cm chunks.
2. Peel and chop the carrots.
3. Put some oil in a skillet, put the carrots and leeks. Season with salt and pepper, add chopped rosemary. Fry for 5 minutes.
4. Add water enough to cover the vegetables and add the rice. Mix it and cook for 10 minutes. Then add tomato paste and orange zest and juice. Mix it, cook for 2 more minutes.
5. Sprinkle some chopped parsley and serve. Enjoy!!!