Lentil and bulgur köfte / Merçimek köftesi
Whenever I'm too busy to look for new recipes, I generally go for Turkish recipes. Most probably because it's really easy to get inspiration from local ingredients. Bulgur köfte is very popular with Turkish and it also can feed the crowd. So a bit of effort and huge dinner or snack is on the table. These köfte are generally served on a lettuce leaf with some spring onions and lemon or onion and sumac salad. Either way it is delicious!
What we need:
1 glass of red lentils
1 glass of fine bulgur wheat
5-6 spring onions
1 medium onions
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1 teaspoon of spicy red pepper paste ( optional)
A bunch of parsley
3-4 glasses of water
What we have to do:
1. Boil the red lentils with 3 or 4 glasses of water until they get very soft.
2. Add a glass of bulgur to the lentil mixture. Remove from the heat. Mix it and let it cool down until you can hold it in your hands. Taste it and if the bulgur inside the mixture is not soft enough, add half or a glass of hot water to soak it up.
3. Chop the onions, spring onions finely and put them into lentil and bulgur mix, add tomato and pepper paste, mix it well.
4. Add some salt, black pepper, chopped parsley and mint. Then add lemon juice and some olive oil ( about 2-3 tbsp). It should not be too dry or too wet.
5. Make some balls or köfte with it and put them over little lettuce on a plate.
7. Cool it down for an hour or so before you eat it! Enjoy!!!