Griddled haloumi and aubergine/ eggplant salad
What we need:
1 large aubergine/eggplant
salt and black pepper
6 plum tomatoes
40 gr Kalamata olives, pitted ( I used a combination of Turkish black and green olives)
small bunch of mint
2-3 tbsp of plain flour
75gr Kalamata olives, pitted
3 tbsp of red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
75ml olive oil
75ml groundnut oil
What we have to do:
1. Cut the aubergine/eggplant into thin slices. Place in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to stand for 20min. Then pat dry with kitchen paper.
2. Cut the tomatoes into wedges and put into a large bowl with the olives and mint. Set aside while you make the dressing.
3. For the dressing, put the olives, vinegar, and dried oregano into a blender and blitz to a smooth puree. Gradually add olive and groundnut oil and season well with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Before serving, put a griddle pan over a high heat. Brush the aubergine slices with olive oil and griddle for about 2 minutes on each side until softened and slightly charred. Add to the bowl of tomatoes, pour over some of the dressing and toss to coat.
5. Thinly slice the haloumi, and coat with flour. griddle the slices until they are turning golden brown around edges and just starting to melt.
6. To serve, arrange the griddle aubergine on a larger platter and top with the haloumi. Spoon the tomato and olive salad on top and drizzle over a little more olive dressing. Sever at once, while the haloumi is still warm. Enjoy!