Tonight I'm going to have some guests at my place and decided to prepare easy but really tasty Turkish cookies which are soaked in sugar syrup - şekerpare.
What we need:
1 Turkish teacup of sugar ( 1 cup - 150ml)
250gr of butter
1 teascup semolina
1 pack of vanilla sugar
1 tbsp of baking powder
3,5 water glasses of flour ( 1 glass = 200ml)
50-60gr of nuts (you can use any you want, I decided to use pistachio, use almond, hazelnut or walnut)
1 egg yok for brushing the cookies
2 glasses of sugar
2 glasses of water
½ lemon juice
What we have to do:
1. Put sugar and water in a pot and cook for 6-7 minutes, then add lemon juice and continue cooking for 3 more minutes. Leave it to cool.
2. Mix egg, sugar, butter, semolina, vanilla in a bowl. Mix flour with baking powder and add slowly into cookie dough. Knead the dough until it's soft and combined.
3. Take small pieces of dough and shape the cookies. Put one nut in the middle of each cookie and brush with egg yok.
4. Pre-heat the oven 180C and bake the cookies for 30 min until light brown.
5. When you take the cookies from the oven, put them into a casserole dish and pour over cool syrup. Leave it to soak up the syrup for at least 15 min and serve. You can also serve it with ice-cream, yogurt or Turkish kaymak and a cup of Turkish black tea! Enjoy!!!